Follow by Email

Friday, 1 May 2015

Development Blog #0020 - Multiplayer Backend

If you haven't already,download WOOL - a Rust simulator for iOS

Multiplayer Server
Everyone will connect to a single, persistent, multiplayer server.  Wool is turn based, players will have up to a second to take their turn with everyone else.  It's a bit of an experiment, so we'll see if it's any fun to play when it's up.

Progress
This week I learned how to code a Java based back end server.  This will let me write game servers for any kind of multiplayer game.  I really should have figured out how to do this years ago, it's not very much different from writing iOS and Android applications.  I'm writing a server similar to Rust's servers -- a persistent world that everyone will connect to, and that's going to be a bit complicated for one guy.  I'm mainly concerned with latency and performance of the server.   I should have something functional in a week if all goes well.


The Leaderboard Update Is still in review @ Apple.
I think I'm going to re-code Wool in Javascript & HTML 5.  That way, these updates will not take a week to come out when I've finished them.  Also, it would allow the game to be played in your browser and on any modern smartphone.

1 comment:

  1. Fast Point Gaming is a leading provider in online gaming services including game servers, dedicated gaming servers and voice over IP communication software. Our network infrastructure spans 18 data centres worldwide. A good network, though, is nothing without quality hardware. Our machines use only high end enterprise components. This ensures great reliability and performance of every service we offer.

    ReplyDelete